So, get this. You know how last week I was like “I think this food might run over into next week”? Well, it did. I’m starting this week with 1 serving of soup left. Also, I haven’t even made the broccoli-quinoa pilaf with spiced chicken, or any salad. On top of that, I still have a whole squash, a bunch of kale and an onion left over from my veggie box, AND an extra chicken breast. Jackpot!
This week, I’ll be way under budget. I’ll use some of that extra money to stock up on breakfasty things, and I’ll pocket the rest so I don’t feel so bad when I blow up my budget on Thanksgiving.
Here’s what I have planned for this week…
Breakfasts: Cereal, oatmeal, cream of wheat, eggs fruit & toast
Lunches: leftovers, salad, egg salad sammie
- Spiced chicken with broccoli-quinoa pilaf
- Roasted squash and pear curry soup (with extra leftovers or dinner for friends)
- Baked chicken nuggets with greens and honey-currant glazed carrots
- The chili that I’ve had sitting in the freezer for a couple weeks
Dessert: oatmeal cookies
My shopping list:
- 6 pears (for the soup)
- Snack fruit (I picked up bananas and grapes)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 small yogurt (for the chili and curry soup)
- cream of wheat
- For real. That’s it.
- Seriously though, wait ’til Thanksgiving, I’ll make up for it.
Here’s what I’ll be using that I have already:
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 small head lettuce
- 1 cucumber
- fresh cilantro (optional – for the curry soup)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (could be replaced with raisins, but I don’t like raisins.)
- A bag of carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 loaf wheat bread
- corn meal
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 3/4 c flour & 1 1/2 c rolled oats (Optional. For cookies.)
- 2 chicken breasts
- eggs (1 dozen, half boiled)
- Miracle whip
- yellow mustard
- extra virgin olive oil
- white and brown sugar
- cardamom (could use any or a combination of ginger, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon)
- curry powder
- cayenne pepper
- currant jam (Optional. For glazed carrots. Could also use fresh currants)
- 1/2 c shortening, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp baking soda (Optional. For cookies)
Alright, I just got back from the grocery store, and I spent a whopping $20.74! Woo! You know what it feels like to know that I’ll be eating fresh food this whole week for $20? Amazing. You should try it.
Or, use the QR code to download it to your phone.