Step 1 to de-vegetarianizing myself: have some chicken! (if this is jibberish to you, check out the last post)
I’d say I made pretty good use of that lonely chicken breast chillin in my freezer. This couldn’t have been much easier: season chicken, broil chicken, throw together a salad, eat. And I didn’t dirty anything but the cutting board and a knife! (Well, my plate and fork, but you can’t really count those.)
This definitely earned some serious tasty points, too (which are the best kind of points if you ask me). I found the the original recipe on Pinterest (I really like Pinterest, guys). It’s from Betty Crocker of all places! I always associated Ms. Crocker with cake and brownies, but this is some pretty yummy chicken. Props Betty.
Not only is this delish, start-to-finish, it takes 20 minutes. No excuses. Go make some.
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- salt & pepper
- Italian seasoning (or just some parsley, oregano & basil)
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 tomato (2 slices for the chicken & the rest cut up for the salad)
- a little feta
- salad fixin’s (lettuce, carrots, green pepper or whatev’s in the fridge)
- bread/rolls (if you want)
- Turn the oven to broil
- Put a piece of foil on the broiling pan with the edges turned up. Season the chicken on all sides with salt & pepper, a healthy amount of the Italian seasoning, a teeny bit of olive oil and a touch of balsamic vinegar
- Broil the chicken about 5-7 minutes per side, depending on thickness
- Pull the chicken out, top with 2 tomato slices and a little pile of feta, broil for another 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is browned on top. Let the chicken sit for a few minutes before cutting into it
- While the chicken is cooking put a little salad together with what’s left of the tomato and whatever you have in the fridge (I used carrot & green pepper). Top with a little salt & pepper and a little olive oil & balsamic vinegar
- Serve up some salad with half the chicken & a cheesy tomato slice. If you want to add a little weight to the meal, serve it with some crusty bread.