So after I picked out this recipe to use up the apples in my produce box, I recognized a pattern:
- Ham, Fried Apples & Steamed Peas – 3/30/12
- Honey Mustard Oven-Fried Chicken – 1/26/12
- Pork Chops with Apples & Spinach (with honey & mustard) – 10/21/11
I like cooked apples + meat + honey mustard. And I tend to eat some combination or other every couple months. After this discovery, I could have changed course, but heck, why should I? It’s good! So I ran with it. And, I can pretty safely say that this won’t be the last thing I make involving cooked apples and/or honey mustard. It’s just so tasty.
This recipe (here’s the original) is most reminiscent of the pork chops with apples and spinach – it involves a light breading on the meat, and all around sweet, tangy goodness. Yummm! Plus, you can have dinner ready in less than half an hour, no problem. Easy peasy.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1/2 c apple juice
- about 1 Tbsp honey
- about 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1-2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 chicken breast tenders
- salt & pepper
- about 1/4 c flour, on a small plate
- olive oil
- 2 small/medium apples (something like jonagold, braeburn or fuji works best), cored & sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together the apple juice, honey, mustard and cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Season the chicken on all sides with salt & pepper. Roll each piece of chicken in the flour, so it’s covered on all sides. Shake off the excess flour or it’ll burn in the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium fry pan/skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 4 minutes, until golden brown. Flip the chicken over, cook for another minute, then add the apples & sauce to the pan.
- Cover & cook for another 5 minutes or so, until the apples are done and the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with a small salad or veggie side. Enjoy!